Re: Shouldn't desktop environments use *term -ls? (Re: The best

On 09-Jul-2002 Joey Hess wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:03:50PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> > I wish if system's /etc/X11/Xsession inserts code such as:
>> > ---
>> > if [ -f $HOME/.Xenvironment ]; then
>> >         . $HOME/.Xenvironment
>> > fi
>> > ---
>> >
>> > So we can set per-user based environment through $HOME/.Xenvironment (I
>> > want to do LC_* etc. so I can have Japanese on one account and English
>> > on other.)
>>
>> This makes me vomit.
>
> What's wrong with it?

three items come to mind:

*) X heritage

*) Debian being different

*) environment variables suck

Well our X is already different from from traditional X setups and Debian has
enough Debianisms that one more is not that big of a deal.

As for environments variables, yes they suck but too many apps require them and
it would be nice to have a nice place for X variables.

So in case this is not clear, I am with joeyh here -- I see nothing wrong with
a ~/.Xenvironment (or whatever it gets named).  If we do not make it a
standard, perhaps it could appear in a few docs.