Re: Shouldn't desktop environments use *term -ls? (Re: The best recommendation [...])

    Steve> On 09-Jul-02, 13:13 (CDT), Branden Robinson
    Steve> <branden@debian.org> wrote:
    >>  If the display manager supports PAM, as I think all display
    >> managers currently in woody do, then pam_env.so will have been
    >> run well before the terminal emulators are started.  Therefore
    >> -ls is overkill.

    Steve> Does pam_env.so let one have a user specific environment
    Steve> variables file (e.g.  ~/.environment)?  If so, it's not
    Steve> obvious from the docs.

No, it does not.  It does not seem to work that well either.  I helped
a developer recently look at interactions between pam_env and gdm.  As
far as I could tell, gdm was calling it correctly, but it wasn't
working.  The developer indicated he would file a bug.

I do tend to agree some user-specific set of code (or environment
file--but I think environment file isn't really good enough) needs to
be in the inheritance of the window manager.  I don't think -ls is a
great default.