Re: Paper on init scripts and Debian (debconf2)

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
According to Nathan Hawkins:
I've been tinkering with sysvinit to get it to run on freebsd-i386. The C code needs few changes, but I need a lot more invasive changes in the /etc/init.d scripts, and I think it might be easier to just make a separate set.
Yes, I think the hurd port has similar concerns.

Yes, so do the other BSD's. Fortunately, we found that the changes to the C code are virtually identical for NetBSD and FreeBSD. It's almost entirely adding #ifdef's.

In the new scheme, would it be acceptable to replace the 'initscripts-base' with another package?
I don't see why not. However 'initscripts-base' would be an essential
and required package, and dpkg doesn't like removing such a package
or replacing it with another one .. that's going to be the hard part.

In the one built by your package, make it Architecture: !freebsd-i386. Then I make a different package that's also essential and required, but only for freebsd-i386. Both my package and yours would Provide a virtual package, and sysvinit-bin would depend on the virtual package.

	---Nathan