Re: Unparsable gcc version string? [WAS: lily 1.4.15]

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> writes:

> Previously Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>> I think maybe someone should file a bug to the Debian gcc package.
>> LilyPond will not be the only package to verify the version of the
>> compiler.
>
> Why would you want to anyway?

Because it works and is a lot easier than to devise all sorts of tests
for all kinds of tools to

> Check for specific [compiler] features using proper autoconf tests
> instead.

The compiler is 'just one' of the tools that can be outdated.

I don't think anyone is served better by unparsable version strings,
that incidentally, also break the GNU coding standards.

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter