Re: ls -l format changed ?

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com> writes:

> $ LC_ALL="en_US" ls -l vmlinuz
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 02-26 00:07 vmlinuz ->
> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18
>
> note the time lost a field.

The 'offending' locale setting is LC_TIME. I could be even worse how
it changes format depending on how old the files are:

pma-20% LC_TIME=en_US ls -ld debian design
drwxrwsr-x    4 brother  brother      4096 06-27 11:22 debian
drwxrwsr-x    2 brother  brother      4096 2001-03-05  design
pma-20%

But we all know that if you want to parse output from programs you
better set LC_ALL to C or POSIX, so only previously broken programs
will see this change.

--
 Peter Makholm     |   First you fall in love with Antarctica, and then it
 peter@makholm.net |     breaks you heart. And if Antartcica doesn't do it