ls -l format changed ?

Seems that 'ls' from the latest fileutils package changed the default
format for 'ls -l'.
Now date and time is printed in different format.

I've used to use

  ls -l xxx | awk '{print($11)}'

to dereference symlinks from shell scripts. This no longer works, because
now date and time takes different number or fields in ls -l output. Even
worse, it is non-constant now: sometimes 1, sometimes 2 -- previous version
always used 3.

Well, my own scripts are my own problems.
But is this sort of breaking backward compatability really necessary for
Debian?