Re: O: rep-xmms

Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> writes:

> When I try to upgrade sawfish, I am greeted with:

>   bonobo-activation gconf2 gnome-mime-data gnome-vfs-extfs libart-2.0-2
>   libatk1.0-0 libbonobo-activation4 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common
>   libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libfam0 libgconf2-4 libglade2-0
>   libglib2.0-0 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnome2-segv libgnomecanvas2-0
>   libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0
>   libgnomevfs2-common libgtk-common libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common liblinc1
>   liborbit2 libpango-common libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common librep9 rep-gtk
>   bonobo-activation gconf2 gnome-mime-data gnome-vfs-extfs libart-2.0-2
>   libatk1.0-0 libbonobo-activation4 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common
>   libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libfam0 libgconf2-4 libglade2-0
>   libglib2.0-0 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnome2-segv libgnomecanvas2-0
>   libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0
>   libgnomevfs2-common libgtk-common libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common liblinc1
>   liborbit2 libpango-common libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common
> The following held packages will be changed:
>   rep-gtk
>
> This isn't acceptable. I've used sawfish for a long time because I admire
> its speed and elegance. This really inverts everything that sawfish means to
> me. I'm *not* going to run it if it's linked to 30MB (just ask apt) of libs
> that I will otherwise never use. I think it's really too bad because I like
> sawfish and it won't be easy to replace (since I've writen a bit of custom
> code). Now that I am moving to another window manager, I can no longer
> maintain rep-xmms whose primary use is through sawfish (using the
> sawfish-xmms package).

Actually this is rep-gtk's fault, since rep-gtk-gnome has been merged
into it. Sawfish doesn't use any of the gnome features from rep-gtk,
it's plain GTK.

IMO rep-gtk should be split back into rep-gtk and rep-gtk-gnome, so
that people who want to do GTK stuff in rep aren't forced to install
the entire GNOME2 Development Platform.

I'll file a bug to that effect.

--
ilmari