Re: Why does modules.conf go in /etc, anyway?

>>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

 Anthony>     (a) needs to be available, and modifiable when only / is mounted
 Anthony>     (b) needs to be available when only / is mounted
 Anthony>     (c) needs to be available and modifiable when only local
 Anthony>         fses are mounted
 Anthony>     (d) needs to be available when only local fses are mounted
 Anthony>     (e) needs to be available and modifiable after network
 Anthony>         fses are mounted
 Anthony>     (f) needs to be available after network fses are mounted

 Anthony> (a) shouldn't be supported, and (e) and (f) should be and
 Anthony> can be placed in /var on all systems. Further (f) alone
 Anthony> covers the *vast* majority of configuration files.

	/etc/auto/ would meet these guidelines, except possibly a, if
 / is initially mounted ro.

	The reason I am pluggin /etc. and why I think this is distinct
 from the run time varying files in /var, is that /etc/auto files
 ought to be only modified during installs; we do not expect files to
 be popping up in /etc/auto.

	The other part why this is really important to retain in /etc
 is that people have expectations of just backing up /etc and
 /var/lib/dpkg/ to preserve the state of a machine; and we should nto
 lose the invariant of backing up /etc and preserving all
 configuration information.

 Anthony> Note that the only major change that would break things in a default
 Anthony> configuration would be trying to setup /var as an NFS mounted drive.

 Anthony> Another possibility (even more symlinks!) would be something like:

 Anthony> 	/etc/managed-directories/
 Anthony> 		atboot-access/
 Anthony> 		local-modify -> /var/lib/managed-directories
 Anthony> 		local-access -> /var/lib/managed-directories

 Anthony> 	/etc/network/ifstate ->
 Anthony> 		/etc/managed-directories/local-modify/ifupdown/ifstate

 Anthony> which would mean that if you wanted to make /var a network
 Anthony> drive, that you could find all the files in
 Anthony> /var/lib/managed-directories referenced via a local-modify
 Anthony> or local-access symlink and move them somewhere more
 Anthony> appropriate. Something like:

	I would prefer if this variant also was under /etc somewhere,
 but otherwise me like-um.

 Anthony> Food for thought: would we be better or worse off if dpkg conffiles
 Anthony> suffered a similar fate (say, /etc/managed/dpkg/squid.conf)?

	If it works for some configuration files, it should work for
 others, even if they happen to be conffiles.

	manoj
--
 "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble, it's what we
 know that ain't so." Will Rogers