Re: Accepted timidity 2.11.2-1 (i386 all source)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Aubin Paul wrote:
> Already done. I made a mistake; nice to see how *forgiving* folks are.

We (well, at least I am) are pretty forgiving when you are dealing with your
own stuff. However, you are held against very high standards when doing NMUs
or maintaining extremely important (e.g. essential) packages.

> The previous incarnation of the package was broken. I was trying to
> fix it. One decision to remove Xaw was perhaps hasty, but I think it's
> fair to try to fix things; even if perfection isn't attained on the
> first try.

It is fair to try to fix things. It is not even remotely fair to try to do
so in an NMU by taking the easy way out.

> > Prove me wrong: fix the lame job you did in the timidity NMU by uploading a
> > proper, well tested, true fix to the problem.  And number it correctly as
> > the NMU it is.
>
> I did. Xaw is back, the pixmaps are moved to /usr/share, config file is
> fixed. I'm done with this package though, the attitude of people to a
> person *trying* to help is ridiculous.

Good. I consider myself proven wrong, then.

As for the attitude, how do you think we keep tabs on what happens in a
project where bad attitude is the only punition you get when you screw up
and cause grief to others?  Think about it.  There is a reason why NMUs are
done carefully, and it is not only because doing it carefully is the right
thing to do.

  Henrique Holschuh