Re: woody bf2.4 install (3.0.23-2002-05-21)

#include <hallo.h>
Osamu Aoki wrote on Sun Jun 23, 2002 um 07:51:59PM:

> Conclusion: Not bad but some touch up will not harm.
>
> Summary of issues:
>  1.  This is as good as potato boot-floppies but not much better.

Depends on what you expect.

>  2.  tasksel choices (especially missing newbie entry and games
>      selected by traditional unix server) need fix.

I proposed a change some months ago, current task series are kludges. But some
influentive people do not like changes, see
http://people.debian.org/~blade/task_proposal.txt

>  3.  Some efforts to reduce messages are still desirable.

File bug when you think that the severity is not appropriate.

>  4.  Central logging capabilities of warning messages are desirable.

You can send mails on debconf _notes_. Means, the maintainer must set as a
such type.

>  5.  Hardware configurations, especially network card configuration,
>      needs to be user friendly and more descriptive.

What? You can enter your IP stuff, or use DHCP? What do you mean with more
user-friendly? Every use should know what an IP adress and gateway is, when
she wants to change it.

> *** Oops.  eth0 was not connected to LAN. Yes, I had 2 Ethernet cards.
>            Selecting eth1 did not fix problem.  I needed to do "ifconfig
>            eth0 down" manually after activating both eth0 and eth1
>            accidentally.  eth1 was connected to LAN.  When I bounced

Argh. I guess, you have set the default route, and afterwards, the new route
did not work. Okay, this maybe needs a fix.

>            back to network configuration, it will be nice if "ifconfig
>            eth0 down" can be done by menu.)

Exactly this in the installation step... could be implemented...
maybe...

> * Make system bootable (I drop lilo into /dev/hda1 since it is robust
>   against DOS stupidity instead of supposedly secure /dev/hda.  Anyway,
>   I get warned security of lilo. MBR install has too wordy, I never read
>   its content. )

The security warning is meant to protect your system ;)

> * Enable MD5 password instead. (Why not as default?  More help info?)

Explanation is there.

> * Set up apt source list. Why "non-US" is asked here.  It is meaningless
>   to talk about US law under current crypt-in-main archive.

Think again. Crypto-in-main, and _only_ in main.

> * Sparely "kernel link failure warning".  But who remember complicated
>   scheme described here?  It is better to have some central warning
>   archive so we can see it later.

Hm. I did not face the link failure since 2.4.17pre-something. Maybe
this warning should be removed.

> * Locales: One with @euro? How important?  Who knows what it means
>   to be ISO???? code as a user?

You need an AI to make a good decission for the user.

> * ssh v2 only.  OK but why stop here.

Since people expect it to work as-is, and should have a clue when it
refuses to work with other (eg. Potato) boxes, or decide to keep
compatibility.

> Many question seems un-necessary.  If all daemon are default disabled,

Chicken-and-egg problem. When you install debconf, you see a prompt
asking about the prefered priority (I guess, you want to hide question
with less than important). Currently, debconf is installed with basedebs
and is configured with default priority. Hallo Joey, someone broke your
design?

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Letzte Worte des Computers: "Sind Sie sicher? (J/N)"