Re: SuSE, Caldera, Connectiva and TurboLinux to do a new distribution togerther?

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 08:05:45PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > ...the beginn of the end?? or what will suse, caldera... reach with this
> > step? i hate this commercial stuff and thinking....
>
> I keep thinking whether this new distribution will have proprietary
> code in it (as SuSe used to do (still does?)) and if people'll have
> to pay for licenses like Caldera does...

YaST is quite, quite proprietary.  This will not likely change.  It has
some advantages over our current debconf/apt setup, but source code is
definitely not one of them.  And it has some silly limitations we don't
have.

Caldera just doesn't get it.  I've been saying that for years now, though.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>        Certified free software nut

* Knghtbrd pelts wichert with NERF darts
* wichert notes there are no ICBM nerfs yet and ignores kngtbrd
<Knghtbrd> wichert - just wait, after seeing the NERF gatling guns, ICBMs
           are not far off (just pump the damned thing for an hour or two
           is all...)