Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 08:27:03PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > So far, no one has proposed a standards-compliant way of solving the
> > problem that retains command -v's robustness.
>
> What specific problems do you have with the idea of using "which"?

I don't have any specific problems with it personally.  Other people in
this thread have been saying it's unsatisfactory, IIRC.

Ideally, I want:

1) a command that searches $PATH for an executable of the given name,
ignoring aliases and shell functions
2) a command that with a flag can be told not to spew any output under
any circumstances (a la grep -qs)
3) a command that doesn't demand that we declare dependencies or
pre-dependencies on a package just so we can use it our maintainer
scripts

Needless to say, even command -v is not ideal in my opinion.  It just
appears to be better than the existing alternatives.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Extra territorium jus dicenti