Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 10:17:17PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> At least on my systems, the overwhelming majority of /bin/sh postinsts that
> use "command -v" are ones where that "command -v" use is generated by
> debhelper. This suggests to me a pragmatic solution:
> - ignore this issue for woody

Of course i do not agree on this: doing as an ostrich will no lead us to any
good.

Why did you, who becamed developers before me, who either wrote or approved
the Debian Policy, do want to avoid it?

> - change debhelper not to use "command -v"
> - add a lintian check for "command -v"

These two are surely good options, and really easy tasks.
Bugs stands and have to be fixed. we should file a serious bug to all the
package listed. If you like we can file one to debhelper first, to make it
change these files:

/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postinst-doc-base
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postinst-suid
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postrm-suid
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/prerm-doc-base

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have