Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 05:10:31PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:
> > What bug reports? If you compare gcs to other compilers on the same
> > platform, gcc typically performs worse.
>
> I'm a little unsure what you mean by "gcs".  Perhaps if you'd explain
> that acronym.

gnu compiler system. including, e.g., the fortran compiler and not just
the c compiler.

> GCC is not the best compiler in the world, but that's not what you
> claimed in the original message.  You said that GCC adds optimizations
> which speed up code on some chips, at the expense of making it slower
> on other chips.
>
> Since GCC optimizations are (by default) carefully tuned, such that
> only those which help a given chip are enabled for that chip, I'm
> wondering if you can be more precise.

I made two claims, that gcc isn't a particularly strong optimizing
compiler, and that there are certain optimizations (instructions or
orderings) that can improve results on one processor and hurt on
another. The latter point was not limited to the gnu compiler, and is a
general problem in optimizing. (Which is of concern if debian is to add
additional optimizations to its default compiles, or to add additional
architecture-specific packages.) The general point is, again, that any
suggestion to add architecture-specific optimizations will need to be
backed up by a broad range of benchmarks.

--
Mike Stone