Re: where do NEW packages go?

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> Those who argue that libexec must be added to the Hurd and BSD ports
> because it exists in other BSD (and Hurd?)  distributions seem to be
> ignoring the fact that, at least in the past, the majority of Linux
> distributions *also* used /usr/libexec, despite its absence from the
> FHS.

I would be interested to know why it fell into disuse.  A google for
libexec only turned up hundreds of copies of the GSC and random
irrelevent mailing lists.  I have also not found much about the
origins or original rationale behind libexec either.

> But compatibility concerns alone are not sufficient to override
> Policy, though they may be taken as a reason to amend Policy.

Source compatibility with the BSDs would be a worthy goal.  As an
upstream maintainer, I have had to add libexec support for BSD ports,
so enabling it for Debian would just be a matter of a configure option
or a make flag setting.  It would save unnecessary patching of
software originating from BSD and vice versa.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh