Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 01:43:14PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 06:22:45AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > There's a trust issue invovled here.  CIM(you do know what that is, don't
> > you?) requires notifications to be sent to the US gov't for ALL new packages.
> > This slows things down.

> Ouch.  Well, dpkg is just stalled because of by-hand, and libc0.3 is just
> renamed from libc0.2 because of the ABI change.  Do you know if renaming
> requires to file notifications?

If the source package is renamed, a notification definitely needs to be
sent, because there's no way to automatically distinguish between a
completely new package and a package whose name has changed; so letting
the system automatically notify for all new source packages will in fact
probably be quicker than asking ftp-master to sort through those
packages by hand and special-case the ones that are renamed.

I don't know what the policy is for new binary packages from an existing
source package.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer