Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 06:52, Josip Rodin wrote:

> mtab is not, it's explicitely listed in FHS as a file that needs to be in
> /etc.

True.

> By the same reason, the other files would have to be there. (/var can
> be on a partition other than / .)

At least according to the glibc docs, ld.so.conf can be rm'd and finding
libraries will still work. Its supposedly just an optimization...

Hmmm.... am I daring enough to try it out...

well, sash is installed, so let's see...

Interestingly, certain things break and certain things don't. X, in
particular, seems to.

Hmmm...

Ah, reading the docs closer says this is what is supposed to happen. Its
because /usr/X11R6/lib is not searched by default.

So, moving /etc/ld.so.cache to its proper place in /var/cache should not
cause any brokeness.