Re: 88 Priority violations in woody

> In other words, you're saying that because the release has
> been slow in coming, and because /you/ judge that there has
> not been significant progress in closing out remaining RC bugs,
> you have no qualms about undermining the release process by
> introducing a large number of RC bugs two days before the
> scheduled release.

I didn't "introduce" the bugs; I merely reported them.
"Fact: There is (or appears to be) a bug in package X."
Marking them "IGNORE", or if you prefer, downgrading them,
is quite easy.  All the bugs I reported DO require some work
in order to bring the affected packages into compliance with
policy, so they should be in the BTS somewhere.  (They are
still there, just requiring a reopen ... after the release ;)

I did not judge that the release is a long way off.
I just don't know when the release will be.  If it were
to happen in two weeks, that would be plenty of time
to make the required one-line changes to the affected
packages.  (Note that the RM has said all along that he
would release when ready, and _maybe_ things would start
to look good around the first of May.  But just now
someone has written me to say that the release will happen
tomorrow no matter what.)

Impatience to release is not a virtue, in my book.  I used
to work in (effectively) a QA department and our most intense
exercising of a product always came at the point when the
designers regarded it as finished.  They didn't like it either
when we made the product fail.  Sometimes we shipped product
with known bugs; sometimes we said "Whew!, I'm glad we
caught that one before it went out."

Debian's policy is supposed to be that it releases when it is
time.  However, those who complain about bugs filed "just
before the release" are presupposing that there is a deadline.
Well, I can accept that there might be an unannounced deadline
, but what really makes no sense is to
suppress the reporting of bugs so that you can feel better
about releasing by your deadline --- even though the bugs
are still there!

This reaction is truly irrational.  But I accept that.
Irrationality rules the world.

--
Thomas