Re: new draft release announcement

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 07:47:16PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> For the first time, Debian comes with the KDE desktop environment. The
> GNOME desktop environment is upgraded to version 1.4, and X itself is
> upgraded to the much improved XFree86 4.1. With the addition of several
> full featured free graphical web browsers in the form of mozilla, galeon,

full-featured, free graphical web browsers

> This version of Debian supports the 2.2 and 2.4 releases of the Linux
> kernel. Along with better support for a greater variety of new hardware
> (such as USB) and significant improvements in usability and stability, the
> 2.4 kernel provides support for the ext3 and reiserfs journaling filesystems.

foldoc says journalling is spelled with two 'l's.  (Obviously so does my
brain, which is why I checked.)

> apt pinning, to ease partial upgrades to our testing branch. Aptitude is
> a replacement for the venerable dselect program and will make it easier to
> select packages. Four thousand new software packages are added to the
> distribution in Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.

I'm wary of the wording "aptitude [...] will make it easier to select
packages."  How do you respond then to long-time dselect users who try
aptitude and /don't/ find it easier? :)  Perhaps:

  Aptitude is a replacement for the venerable dselect program that is
  intended to make it easier to select packages.

> Debian 3.0 is the culmination of years of work by many thousands of
> developers, not only from the Debian project but throughout the free
> software community, and by many commercial enterprises. While some have
> fallen along the way, Debian has weathered recent troubles well, thanks to
> its volunteer base, its dedication to the Debian Social Contract, and its
> commitment to provide the best operating system possible. This is another
> important step in that direction.

Shouldn't that be "Free Software community"?

"while some..." - this seems vague to me.  Some what?  Some of our
developers?  Some commercial enterprises that disappeared in the dotcom
bust?  Some stocks? :)

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer