Re: draft release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 01:46:42PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> (I'm Looking for corrections, suggestions, comments...)

Good work. Just a few small points:

> Debian GNU/Linux is a free Linux system. It is developed by nearly
                        ^
			Free?

> This is the first version of Debian to feature cryptographic software
> integrated into the distribution, rather than as an optional add-on.
> Ssh and gnupg are included in the default install, and strong

"OpenSSH and GnuPG ..."

> For the first time, Debian comes with the KDE desktop environment. The GNOME
> desktop environment is upgraded to version 1.4, and X itself is upgraded to
> version 2.4. With mozilla 1.0rc1, galeon, and konquoror, this release of
                    ^               ^           ^    ^
"With Mozilla 1.0rc1, Galeon, and Konqueror, ..."

> Debian for the first time features a set of mature and very usable desktops
> and web browsers.

"... in the main distribution." Otherwise people might wonder: "What
about Netscape? I've always used it under Debian." (I know that non-free
is not part of Debian, but will all of our users?)

> Debian GNU/Linux 3,0 features a more streamlined and polished
> installation, which is translated into several languages. The debconf tool
> is used to streamline configuration of the system. The task system has been
> revamped and made more flexible. Debian GNU/Linux can be installed from CD,
> or from the network and a few floppies. It can be obtained via FTP from
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/, and many mirrors, and will soon be
> available on CD-ROM from numerous vendors. CD Images may be downloaded now.
                                                ^
						images

> Upgrades to Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 from earlier releases are

"from the Potato release" - we only support updates from the last
release AFAIK.

> Current Debian users may be interested to know that this release of Debian
> supports build dependencies, to aid in building packages from source, and
> apt pinning, to ease partial upgrades to our testing branch. Aptitude and
> deity are two new replacements for the venerable dselect program and will

Deity

> This release of Debian is the culmination of years of work by many
> thousands of developers, not only from the Debian project but throughout
> the free software community, and by many commercial enterprises. While

Free

 - Sebastian