Re: draft release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 03:32:09PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 09:21:37PM +0100, Thom May wrote:
> > As many people have pointed out, if we're allocating blame^Wcredit here,
> > it should be GNU/Apache/X/Open/MIT/BSD/Others (in no particular order)
> > Linux.
>
> www.debian.org reads:
>
> "What is Debian?
>
> Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. [...] Debian
> uses the Linux kernel (the core of the operating system), but most of
> the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence the name GNU/Linux."

That's not really a clear explanation of the name GNU/Linux.  RMS
has always emphasized that it's not about who wrote the most pieces,
it's about who started putting them all together.[1]

Better wording for the web page might be,

    Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core of the operating system),
    but is otherwise based upon the GNU project's effort to build a
    free operating system; hence the name GNU/Linux.

Andrew

[1] http://www.fsf.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html