Re: draft release announcement

* Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) wrote :
> Thom May wrote:
> > > Ssh and gnupg are included in the default install, and strong
> > > encryption is now present in web browsers, databases, XXX, and YYY.
> > > [ XXX fill in the blanks ]
> >
> > Web servers...
>
> I'd rather some more variety since we already have one web thing in the
> list.

Hrrm. But apache + mod_ssl is fairly critical to a fair proportion of our
user base...

> > > Further integration of crypto is planned for future releases.
> > >
> > > With the addition of the ia64, hppa, mips, mipsel, and s390 architectures,
> > > Debian GNU/Linux now supports a total of 10 architectures. It now runs on
> >
> > 11 Arches: alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390,
> > sparc
>
> I keep wanting to count the mipses as a single arch, but ok.

I count em seperate because they are seperate ports, but I'm not fussed.
Anyone else?

> > > computers ranging from game consoles to supercomputers, and nearly everything
> > > in between, including the latest generation of 64 bit machines.
> > > [ XXX those dreamstations and playcasts are mips boxen, right? I don't know
> > >   much about this area. ;-) ]
> > >

> > I thought dreamcasts were SH4, so not supported in woody?
> > Playstations? pass.
>
> I'd hate to lose that line about game stations to supercomputers, but if
> it's not supported, it's not supported. Do we support any new interesting
> small hardware this time around?

Ipaqs?

> > >   verify. Also, an other FS's supported by default? reiser? ]
> >
> > the BF24 image has ext3 and reiser, yes. (and the isolinux cd allows you to
> > build ext3 and reiser partitions during install).
>
> Which one is the isolinux CD? Is that the default CD? I thought all the
> bf2.4 cd's allowed creation of that stuff?

That's the small one that Rafael made a request for testing on -devel not
long ago. I've not used anything else, so I couldn't comment ;-)

-Thom