Re: RFC: very large, redundant packages

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 12:16:02AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:

> Thought of using xdelta?
>
> It can generate binary diffs.  So, fetch basedebs.tar.gz.  Extract files.
> Apply xdelta.diff.  tar up root.

basedebs.tar is not compressed, so it should work just as well without
unpacking, no?

Hmm.  I only have one version of basedebs.tar, so I can't immediately test
how well (or poorly) xdelta does with it.

So we could have a "basedebs" package which would, on first install or upon
user request, download the current basedebs.tar.  Then, to coincide with
each new basedebs release, a new version of the package would be released,
containing xdeltas to transform the old into the new.

Whether this would work well depends on the xdelta results; if there is
another basedebs release for i386, I'll try it out.

Also interesting might be to create basedebs for unstable using something
like dpkg-repack, so that nothing needs to be downloaded at all.

--
 - mdz