Re: Rsyncable GZIP (was Re: Package metadata server)

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 09:11:27PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 13:16, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > > A large mirror in Australia does provide an rsync server to access debian
> > > packages. When redhat 7.0 came out so many people tried to rsync it at the
> > > same time, the machine promptly fell over.
> > >
> > What amazes me is that nobody is able or willing to provide any figures.
> > So I guess no provider of an rsync server is interested in this subject
> > and therefore it can't be a big problem.
>
> ...or, more likely, they are too busy maintaining their rsync servers to
> respond (or even follow the traffic on a list like this one).
>
> The rest of us are trying to impress upon you the possibility that it
> might be a big problem, as we've heard that it is in the past.  As
> flimsy as anecdotal evidence is, it certainly beats proof by assertion.

Agreed.  I used to run debian.midco.net (which sadly no longer exists
now that I no longer work at midco.net).  That machine was a dual
processor PII with 70 GB of RAID disk; it was a news server for a
while before it was pressed into service as a mirror.  IOW, it was a
decent machine in its day.  d.m.n was a primary push mirror and
provided anon rsync access to the world, but with a 15 connection
limit.  Any more than that and apache became resource starved, and
when you're trying to act as a primary HTTP mirror for apt, that's not
good.

I don't have stats as d.m.n has been dead for almost two years now,
but I can assure you that rsync, while quite cool, can be dangerous
in large doses.

Regards,

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship