Re: Debian Conference 2 Registration

On Apr 07, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> It subverts my principles (and probably also others). The fact that
> the company itself is probably also going to distribute non-free
> software also subverts my principles.
>
> The thing I want say is: Debian is about free software, IMHO we should
> not have such a prominent sponser promoting non-free
> software. Especially as we probably don't need it.

Not to beat this to death, but a large number of Debian packages
contain code that was developed by people who work for companies that
produce non-free software.  Among them:

gs
debconf
alien
kernel-image-*
anything we got from Red Hat (they own Cygnus, which does non-free stuff)
sourceforge
cupsys-*
apache
zope
python*
perl*
xfree86-*

Need I go on?

Yes, it's a shame Lindows.com hosts things on non-free servers.  My
general reaction to that is that if they're dumb enough to run IIS and
pay for it, that's on them, not us.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <chris@lordsutch.com> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/