Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:53:00PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> 3) Debconf's usage.

> The current debconf'isation and how it is often done, confuses more
> and more. Preinst and postinst scripts bomb you with thousands of
> questions before you even got a chance to have read the docs.
> We need an additional level for package's configuration state:
> "fine-configured". Only essential things are configured to get the
> package into the "configured" state. For all fine configuration, the
> user can invoke a frontend (GUI/TUI with list selection, or CLI like
> dpkg-reconfigure) and manage the rest.

Although I think the rest of your comments make a good starting point
for improvements to Debian, I think you missed the mark with this one.
No technical solution is going to solve the problem of maintainers not
giving users the information they need to make proper decisions at
install-time.  If there are bad debconf questions being asked[0], the
solution is quite simple: file bugs against the packages pointing out
the problems, and ask the maintainers to give more information / ask the
question at a lower priority / do a little dance.  Patches and concrete
direction work best, of course.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[0] Honestly I haven't noticed any, though my threshold for noticing
overly-technical questions is admittedly quite high when my brain's not
set to proofreading mode.