Re: /etc/mailname

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, christophe [iso-8859-15] barbé wrote:

> I can't find which package is responsible for this file :
>
> /etc# dpkg -S mailname
> dpkg: *mailname* not found.
> /etc# ll /etc/mailname
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           10 Jan 29 22:40 /etc/mailname
>
> but this file is used by 'bug -d' and some other debian tool.
>
> strace bug give me :
>
> stat64("/etc/mailname", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=10, ...}) = 0

There is not a single package which is the only responsible for it, since
policy says:

   If your package needs to know what hostname to use on (for example)
   outgoing news and mail messages which are generated locally, you
   should use the file /etc/mailname. It will contain the portion after
   the username and @ (at) sign for email addresses of users on the
   machine (followed by a newline).

   Such package should check for the existence of this file when it is
   being configured. If it exists, it should be used without comment,
   although an MTA's configuration script may wish to prompt the user
   even if it finds that this file exists. If the file does not exist,
   the package should prompt the user for the value (preferably using
   debconf) and store it in /etc/mailname as well as using it in the
   package's configuration.

> Related question why debian softs like bug and dch don't use
> /etc/email-addresses ?

The file /etc/email-addresses is exim-specific so packages are unlikely
to use that file directly. Check your exim configuration if exim is your MTA.