Re: Now important is DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive support?

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 12:41:31PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I'm currently working on a project to make a Debian/Woody based
> distribution for the Norwegian primary schools.  Information on the
> project is available from
> <URL:http://developer.skolelinux.no/projectinfo.html.en>.

> As part of this project, we want to be able to install Debian almost
> without any questions, and thus it is important for us that the
> packages can be installed using DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive.
> Several packages of the packages we plan to include do not handle
> this, and I've submitted a few bugs asking for the packages to support
> debconf.

>  postgresql #127960
>  gpm #48459
>  ispell-dictionaries #123641 and http://dict-common.sourceforge.net/
>  php4 #122353
>  samba #127959

Eloy and I have recently completed our testing of initial debconf
support for Samba.  I will be preparing a 2.2.3a-2 upload shortly that
includes this debconf support.

> How important is it that programs use debconf?  Most of the bugs above
> have severity wishlist, and some of the packages plan to convert to
> debconf after Woody is released.

I think debconf support for Woody is important, but not
release-critical; and not so important as not breaking things that
already work.  If the Samba package receives sufficient testing and no
bugs show up in the debconf support, we're happy to see it included in
Woody.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer