Re: gmp-4.0.1 and .so numbers

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 12:48:13PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Now, what looks like a simple upgrade may very well break existing
> software by not providing a consistant ABI.

Well, you need to find out if that's "may" or "can".

> My typical test of such things is to install the new version and try ssh
> to my ISP. If that works then I scp the package to Incoming. This doesn't
> really feel like much of a test. Is it sufficient for this question?

I don't think so. Try to test more programs, or even better, read the change
log for changes to the existing functions, interfaces etc. The ultimate
method is reading the source, but that's probably very tedious if the
package is big.

> Does Policy demand that I keep the SONAME of the upstream even when it
> breaks backward compatability?

No, I don't think so. If the SONAME is broken, you should fix it,
preferrably in coordination with the upstream maintainers.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.