Re: Package splitting and upgrades

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:29:07AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > Actually, we have so far recommended _everyone_ to use apt-get dist-upgrade
> > > for cross-release upgrades, not just the advanced users, i.e. those who
> > > don't mind getting their hands dirty. (Note that I was the release notes
> > > maintainer for slink->potato.)
> >
> > We did so in error. It is time to write that down in the release notes.
[...]
> Fact remains, there are dist-upgrade and upgrade commands, they're the best
> we had. If you thought differently, why didn't you speak up two years ago?

Because two years ago I didn't know this, or I would have. I came to know
the full story of apt-get and recommends/suggests not too much time ago.  I
suspect many other developers are in the same boat.

> We chose the best options of those available, that was not an error.

Well, according to the apt-get maintainer, it was. I disagree with him, and
I think apt-get should change its charter, but I am NOT the apt maintainer,
nor do I consider myself capable of doing his work. My opinion in the matter
is worth very little.

> > apt-get simply will not cut it BY DESIGN. I dislike this (I wish it would, I
> > like command-line tools), but such is life.
>
> And there's oodles of people who will say that dselect will not cut it by
> design, either.

Well, I have been using it for years, and while it has the worst interface I
have ever seen, it works.  It's being de-braindamaged slowly but steadly as
of lately; but its design is really bad.

Maybe aptitude is better.  Maybe someone has to write a better command-line
tool to do a superset of apt-get's current capabilities. But that won't be
me, I don't have the time, and I suspect I don't have the skills (right now)
either :(

  Henrique Holschuh