Re: gpm in standard or not [was: Re: interesting times installing 2.4.17 in Woody...]

begin  Josip Rodin  quotation:

> I haven't seen a single system where gpm caused any damage. Sure, sometimes
> the mouse type options were confusing when it came to my no-name mouses and
> I had to fiddle with it, but I can say the same for a lot of the other
> standard packages.

Unless you consider Microsoft a "no-name" brand, I have to disagree. I
couldn't get my Intellimouse Optical to work right in X until I removed
gpm entirely. It's possible that by setting the repeater type to "raw",
it might have worked, but I didn't find out about that possibility until
after I'd removed it. And since I run X pretty much all the time, I saw
no reason to try putting it back in.

Having gpm installed makes X mouse configuration much more complicated.
Not only do you have to get X's own configuration right, but gpm's as
well, which is pointless if you don't use console mode.

Also, Jim Gettys, who ought to know, has posted not long ago on this
very list that he doesn't like putting a user-mode program like gpm in
between X and the mouse. He feels it degrades performance unacceptably.

Craig