Re: Complied into debs please (Python/Emacs packagers take note)

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 02:19:49PM +0000, Lazarus Long wrote:

> What is the point of pre-compiling C code before packaging it into
> .debs?  If you can answer that, apply that answer to Python code.

The C ABI is rather more stable than that for Python (or Emacs).

> Taking away the precompiled aspect of Debian is certainly not in keeping
> with point 4 of the Social Contract.

That argument seems to be getting trotted out with depressing frequency
recently, often associated with a lack of willingness to discuss things
or work with people.  Perhaps if we focus on trying to solve problems
rather than on screaming and flaming every time something does not seem
100% optimal then needs of our users might find themselves taken care of
along the way?