Re: cross-compilers

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> I'm sort of running a nursing home for old hardware, and prior abuses
> they've seen in their lives apparently left them without much hardware...

Sounds familiar (2 IPX's, one SS10, one Indy, one Quadra 840AV,
etc).  Luckily, I don't use the older ones enough to really care how long
they take to compile kernels...they will probably be done before I log
into them again anyway :-)

> Well, I have
>
> (1) MIPS R3000 (little-endian) DecStation 5000/200
> (2) m680000   (sun3)
> (3) SparcStation 1  (sun4c)
>
> ... the last versions of gcc that could produce working kernels on these
> are all different. IIRC the m68k/sun3 one is quite old... I'll have to
> dig the precise versions up later in a little while.

Not sure about the m68k or the mipsel, but the current gcc in the
toolchain-source should generate a working kernel, IIRC (Ben, correct me
if I'm wrong please).  Would be worth another shot if your faster hardware
(i386?) is fast enough to try a few experiments.