Re: diversion/conffile

>>"Josselin" == Josselin Mouette <josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org> writes:

 Josselin> le mer 20-02-2002 à 09:19, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
 >> What does dpkg do when base-files changes /etc/issue? How do
 >> conffile replacement and diversions interact?

 Josselin> I think it acts just as if the administrator has changed
 Josselin> the file by himself. And yes, this is potentially harmful
 Josselin> at the time of removal of linuxlogo.

	That happens not to be the case.

 Adam> Whenever the diverted conffile is modified upstream, dpkg
 Adam> chokes during it's installation.  Verified by trying it, and by
 Adam> walking dpkg's code.

	By diverting the conffile of another package, you have now
 created a situation where it shall break on upgrade if the package
 ever changes the conffile. At that point, the diversion shall be a
 ritical bug -- and perhaps, it should already be considered one,
 since the implementation is broken.

	manoj
--
 When the Universe was not so out of whack as it is today, and all the
 stars were lined up in their proper places, you could easily count