Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> However, just mentioning the word "unicode" to a Japanese user
> carries a lot of negative emotional presumptions and will be met
> with strong criticism.

Which results in endless flamewars and such, weich we could do without.

> I agree. But having UTF-8 as default indeed DOES simplify things,

For us, maybe. For them, it doesn't. In the end, we can just toss the ball
to glibc upstream, and let them sort out the default charset for a locale.

Do note that I do think all locales should properly support UTF8.

> if they desire so (could be even default for Japanese locale,
> after all - and everyone is happy)

Wasn't that what I was talking about all this time? Leave the defaults
alone, and you will not touch the bees' nest; and still acomplish what you
set out to do, which is to support UTF8 for those who want it.

> > should at the very least give you an idea of the amount of effort it would
> > take to get such a useless proposal through.
>
> useless?

Yes. Useless. But I do refer to 'make utf8 the default charset' you know.
The charset of ANY properly programmed application is one environment set
away; Please leave the default charset stuff alone.

> UTF-8 is currently the only way I can efficiently communicate in.

So *you* should set your locale to utf8 charset. I (and others) would work
with you to make sure that the system behaves correctly in that case.

> And it is the only encoding in which there are czech/slovak characters
> and EURO sign (iso-8859-17 anyone?).

That is something to talk to upstream glibc, if you need the czech and
slovak default charset changed.

  Henrique Holschuh