Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

#include <hallo.h>
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote on Mon Feb 18, 2002 um 04:55:04PM:
> >  - Programs must switch the settings relative to used charset
>
> What does that mean?

That my editor uses a Unicode font with Unicode locale setting.

> >  - using UTF8 as the default charset
>
> Bad idea. Use whatever the user set for the locale. And locales already have
> a default charset.

Yes, and this situation is a mess if you want to use more than one
non-ASCII locale simultaneously.

> Make that "have all locales correctly deal with UTF8". If the user wants to
> use his locale with an UTF8 charset, so be it. Otherwise, leave it alone.

He? I do not want to change anything on the current NLS locales. But I
want to make UTF8 support work correctly. Currently, it is still not
good enough.

> >    other crapy slow solutions) and a customised subset of Unicode as
> >    character map? I mean: I need only 128bit ASCII, few chars from
>
> Yes, but it is probably not very easy. You need a font, and the correct
> translation map for that font.

I know. Someday, I have enough time and still intion to make it work, I
will look for a solution.

> >    iso-8859-15 and about 60 chars from koi8 charset. All this should fit
> >    in 255 chars.
>
> You can have 512 I think, but I don't recall what you give up for that extra
> bit.

Well, I like the speed of the console, and would like to have support
for all chars I use without switching to frame-buffer+x*layers-mapping
alternative.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
"NT ist auch ein UNIX - es ist ja schließlich in C geschrieben."
                                        -- Compaq Techsupport Hotline