Re: It's Huntin' Season

> 	Wrong analogy. Making a program available to em in emacs21
>  does not require a start up file.

How do I get the autoloads installed without running a startup file?
Is this a new feature in emacs21?

> 	If you modify /etc/profile to run the program at every login
>  shell, you betcha it had better be configurable.

Right, and an init file which actually runs the program is a config
file without doubt.

I'm talking about init files which do things like set up autoloads.

> 	It is a convenience, certainly. But not a requirement. I can,
>  as a user, evaluate the autoloads myself, either manually or on my
>  .emacs, or I can (require 'that-file). The assumption you are making
>  is that in _most_ cases all users would like to ue this code and
>  would be glad of the convenience.

Oh, not at all.  I'm saying that installation of the package implies
"people on this system might want to run this program" for emacs, same
as shell commands.