Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 04:07:42PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> > As I understand it, your recommendations involve specifying --host
> > unconditionally.  However, it is not at all clear that this is safe.
> > At one point
> > [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200202/msg00653.html]
> > you affirmed it was:
> >
> > 	Autoconf 2.52 states that it will compare --build and --host,
> > 	and enter crosscompiling mode only if they differ.
> >
> > but I couldn't find that in the autoconf documentation.  Moreover,
>
> "Setting System Type" node, autoconf info docs, autoconf 2.52 as packaged in
> Debian sid:

Ah, there it is!  I was looking somewhere else.

> > a recent message from Akim Demaille (the lead autoconf developer)
> > [http://sources.redhat.com/ml/autoconf/2002-02/msg00059.html]
> > indicated otherwise:
> >
> > 	- passing --host means you cross compile (whatever the relationship
> > 	  between host and build)
>
> Well, time to bother him then. I will do this right away.

Sounds good.

> BTW, the autoconf code agrees with the documentation, not with Mr. Demaille:

Yeah, but ac_tool_prefix is set if --host is given, which affects
the compiler chosen, etc.  This is actually the source of Akim's
comment: Ian Taylor was wondering why this behaviour had changed
from 2.13.

So it is good to clear up with Akim & the autoconf developers
what the current state and future plans of all this is.

> I will tell you a little secret. There is a high chance that a
> package that does the suggested full fix will not break in new
> archs, since most of them are of the form "*-unkwnown-linux-gnu" and
> "*-unkwnown-gnu"

Yes, I understand.  That's quite clever, actually, and I think you are
on to a good thing.  You have convinced me that setting --build is the
right thing to do.

I just want to be sure that we understand fully the ramifications
of setting --host.

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,