Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 12:18:13AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	So what are we supposed to do then?

I agree with Henriques reply.

> AUTOCONF_VERSION:=$(shell grep "Generated automatically using autoconf" \
>                     configure | sed -e 's/^.*autoconf version //g')

[etc]

>    Or something like that? This is painful in the extreme.

This would be ideal for a helper snippet that can not make any
assumption at all about the package (eg a generic implementation suitable
for automatic processing).  I don't think it is necessary as soon as even
the slightest amount of human brain is applied to it.  Packages don't change
their autoconf version often, and usually they only upgrade.  If 2.52 is
already used in your package, it's easy, and if 2.13 is still used, it is
easy as well and will be easy again to update when the source uses 2.52.

I am performing a dramatic act of ass-covering here, which will hopefully
turn out to be mostly unnecessary, because most if not all packages will
work fine with the simplest solution of them all.  (I basically just wanted
to satisfy myself that we have thought through all potential cases).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de