Re: kernel-* package names

Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> dichiarò:

> Users won't be misled.  If I install Debian GNU/Linux and fetch a
> package called kernel-whatever, it is self-evident that it is for
> Linux, and not for hurd or bsd.  It is internally consistent.

I'm not sure. It is probably true for monolithic kernel, but it differ
somewhat for microkernels. I mean: it is possible (maybe theoretically
but possible) to switch from a microkernel to another one implementing
the same interface. There are some projects to port the Hurd to
microkernels other than gnumach (rtmk, l4ka, ...). Maybe this is not
feasible, but I think that changing kernel implies at most changing Hurd
servers, not user apps.

--
Au revoir.
Lele...