Re: A suggestion for the woody freeze

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

> What I think we need, is a policy change that dramatically loosens the
> rules about NMUs, to encourage more of them.

There are rues that describe how to do NMUs (section 7.3. of the
eveloper's Reference) and they are sometimes relaxed (e.g. at bug
squashing parties).

Correct NMUs are a good thing and really needed, NMUs of people who do
e.g. not ask the maintainer whether they can do a NMU before they upload a
NMU are a plague.

> Is it really "free software" if one developer arbitrarily prevents another
> developer from applying a simple patch?  I think not.

What has this to do with the term "free software"? Consider that e.g. a
100% correct one-line patch to the Linux kernel will never be applied if
Linus refuses to apply it.

cu
Adrian