Re: pcmcia-modules in woody

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:59:43PM -0500, Brian Mays wrote:

> > It also sounds like this will lead to pain for people who want a
> > slightly modified version of the stock Debian kernel: downloading
> > and installing kernel-source and all of its dependencies takes a lot
> > longer with this model, and actually building it gets you lots of
> > added kernel module packages that you don't necessarily want.
>
> I think that you are confused here.  The kernel-source packages will
> not depend on pcmcia-cs.  Instead the kernel-image packages will have
> a build-time dependency on the appropriate source packages.  For
> example, the kernel-image-2.2.20-reiserfs package should have build-time
> dependencies on kernel-source-2.2.20, kernel-package, pcmcia-source,
> and whatever other external module source packages that the maintainer
> decides to support.

not how i have it done.

i have no build dependency upon pcmcia-cs. instead, what i have in
debian/rules is a list of all kernel add-on modules[0] that come in
_tarball_ form. if they unpack themselves into /usr/src/modules, then i
have nothing to do with them.

then for _each_ set of modules, it will unpack the modules into a
private build tree (this is why i do not touch anything that installs
itself unpacked) and uses the proper arguments to make-kpkg to build the
requisite modules.

so i could in theory build alsa-0.4, alsa-0.5, alsa (0.9), cipe,
open-afs, you get the idea, modules. all the end user (or myself, for
that matter) has to do is install the source package, and a
dpkg-buildpackage later, they have a fresh kernel-image.deb, and a bunch
of -modules.deb's.

and if you don't want that, you don't get it.

note: if any of the kernel modules maintainers want me to build their
modules along with the -resierfs flavour kernel, just drop me a line. or
better yet, file a wishlist bug.[1]

-john

[0] as of 4 Dec 2001 or 19 Nov 2001, i forget which.

[1] unless it is sound modules. since the ``official kernel'' does not
    define CONFIG_SOUND, i can't build alsa- modules. i did leave that
    in there, though, as an option for the end user that may want to
    define it. i might be conviced to define it, provided it does not
    interefere with the boot-floppies.