Re: libpng transition

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 09:27:00PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:
> > If we go this route, how do we gracefully handle a bump in
> > SONAME for libM?
> We have no way.  We have an ungraceful way, however: create a flag
> day, when all the relevant applications need to be recompiled.
> Another way is to bump the soname on libL at the time you bump the one
> on libM.  People are usually against this, since in fact the libL
> interface hasn't changed at all.  I'm not sure whether that would
> actually solve all the problems.

But libL *has* changed: maybe the source API hasn't, but the binary API
*has*, and that what the so-name's for. Note that the shlibs need to be
changed too, which means changing the package name, too.

Having packages randomly not work with new versions of a library, and
having this not reflecting in the Depends: is broken. See apt's Provides:
line and shlibs file, eg, for L=libapt-pkg, and M=libstdc++.

Cheers,
aj

The daffodils are coming. Are you?
      linux.conf.au, February 2002, Brisbane, Australia
                                --- http://linux.conf.au/