Re: Some thoughts about problems within Debian

On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 18:33, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> What the people writing about this matter seem to be after is
> - what is expected of a maintainer?
> - how does the debian project fit together?
> - what can I do?
> - what must I know to be able to do this?
> - where do I go to ask if I must know something?

One very important characteristic of a hacker is self-motivation.  You
have to find those problems you want to solve, and solve them.  Since
hackers are almost invariably volunteers, you can't be forced into doing
something that you're not interested in.  If you haven't found your
place yet, that's fine; it will come.

So, I don't think you're going to get anyone to answer the above
questions for you; the answers differ for each person.

> I think the real "debian problem" is not about maintainers MIA, orphaned
> packages or slow release cycles. The real problem is about lack of
> smooth introduction of new participants, and a complicated, undocumented
> internal structure. It is about unclear goals - what is the target
> audience or audiences of debian?

The target audience is everyone who uses a computer.