Re: Source-only uploads

At (time_t)1009793105 "John H. Robinson, IV" wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 09:59:04AM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> >
> > Conversely, I would sometimes like to be able to get my arch-specific
> > and arch-independant packages built by the build daemons in order to
> > detect build time errors that don't show up on my own system (missing
> > build deps, for example).
>
> a clean chroot will solve that one for you. besides, the buildd's may
> still have an un-listed build dependency, from a previous build.

Missing build-deps that do not cause the build process to break
are a common problem on non-i386 architectures. The packages may
be crippled in some way by the missing build dependency, and the
maintainer and other users from the same architecture never
notice, because the original binary upload was created with all
necessary build dependencies installed.

Source-only uploads would not automatically catch this problem,
but if a package is missing certain key components on i386, the
problem tends to be detected more quickly.

Consistent use of chroots would also help address this.

--
John Daily
john@geekhvoc.com