Re: profile and /usr/local/bin in PATH

On 27 Nov 2001, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Dale> The default profile on a Debian system puts '/usr/local/bin'
>     Dale> as the first element in the PATH list. This causes several
>     Dale> things to not work as desired.
>
>     Dale> When I have a binary in /usr/local/bin, like Pine, and then
>     Dale> install a package for that binary, I still get the old
>     Dale> version from /usr/local.
>
> This is defined to be the desired thing.  You want local software to
> trump OS software.

Be careful when you decide my wants ;-)

Personally I don't want local software to "trump" installed. I'd like it
to work just the opposite. (I understand this is my desire and not
necessarily a good thing for Debian to do in general)

>     Dale> I run several root file systems against common /home and
>     Dale> /usr/local partitions, so one root system may have a package
>     Dale> installed while another will rely on the version in
>     Dale> /usr/local.
>
> Then modify the profile on those systems.  However it should be a local change not a global change to all Debian systems.

Understood. I was just trying to outsmart murphy and make sure things
wouldn't break.

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-