Re: Whose bug is this?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 05:45:26AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> umm, he wrote:
>
> 	the S40umountfs script is executed (/etc/init.d/umountfs).  This
> 	script basically does an 'umount -a -r'.
>
> now from man umount:
>
>        -r     In case unmounting fails, try to remount read-only.
>
> so if you had to change anything to accomplish this then mount needs a
> bug reported against it, i can say that umount -a -r works as
> documented in potato since my chroot partition always fails to umount
> since umount -a seems to not bother with the extra /proc mounted under
> there...  i simply get a warning that umount failed, remounting ro and
> it works, no fsck etc.

Interesting. I wonder if this is new behaviour? (I did this first on a hamm
machine). So in his case he should be fine anyway unless he has a writable
file open somewhere.

But that won't work with the dead NFS server though, because umount will
attempt to umount the NFS server (and hang) before doing any of the local
drives.

> > The umount still fails but since the drive isn't read-write on the reboot,
> > no fsck on next boot.
>
> yes this should be standard behavior under unmodified debian.

I guess I should pay more attention to the error messages...
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/