Re: Keeping information on the build system

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:51:34PM +0200, Yann Dirson wrote:
> Why distinguish those cases ?  All packages on the same level makes
> things easier to process, and useful outside of autobuilders.  Please
> get my current dh_buildinfo (URL somewhere in the thread) and comment
> on it :)

yellowpig% wget http://ydirson.free.fr/soft/debian/dh_buildinfo
--21:40:20--  http://ydirson.free.fr:80/soft/debian/dh_buildinfo
           => `dh_buildinfo'
	   Connecting to ydirson.free.fr:80... connected!
	   21:40:21 ERROR 404: Not Found.

(but I can access your site fine otherwise)

> > But maybe it is sufficient to implement it for autobuild.
>
> No, all packages have at least one "manually" built arch - source-only
> uploads are forbidden because of implementation details in buildd.
(IMHO source only upload should be implemented and favored , because maintainers
cannot always compile with the current unstable)

Yes but there is only two ways to know for sure the packages really used:

-- install only needed packages (as autobulider do, and can be done with a chroot)

-- use a strace/LD_PRELOAD trick à la depcheck/auto-apt/etc...
but first solution is painnful for manual build, and second is awkward.

So it is better, IMHO, to assume the first situation than to store versions
of irrelevant packages, because it will make builds harder to reproduce.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>