Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:42:43PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Michael" == Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Michael> a standalone .deb is not less useful with our proposal.
>  Michael>  - you can install the deb all the time.
>  Michael>  - if you have install the description-transltion package, you have
>  Michael>    the translated description
>
> 	You add yet another external dependency. The system become
>  slightly more complex on the target machine (as opposed to simplicity
>  on the development end). And, if I do not use apt or dselect, or I
>  just pass this deb around to a friend who is not running this dist
>  yet, they never get the translations.

This is not a new problem. If I get only one deb file, I miss normal
some features.
 - I can't use a lib in a own programm, if I only get the lib package
   (without the -dev package)
 - I can't show in the source code, if I don't get the source packages
 - I can't build it myself, if I don't have all build depend packages.
 - I don't have menues, if I don't install the menu packages
 - I can't use the package if I don't have a running debian with all
   depend packages.
 - I will miss some features, if i don't install some or all suggest
   or recommend packages
 - ...

Maybe we need a new Depends tag in the system. See a other mail...

> 	I suggest that you are trying to solve a social problem
>  (people not updating their packages) with a technical solution --
>  that is always messy.  As people have already pointed out, you are
>  creating a special case mechanism for a subset of the unresponsive
>  maintainer problem -- and we can't keep on inventing complex, special
>  case mechanisms for other aspects of the issue.

yes and no. I solve some problemes, maybe a social problem too.

If we don't have this delay (the social problem), we have a lot of
source uploades. And this uploades a problem too. They hit all the
build daemons, they eat all bandwidth, etc.

We should separated our translations from the source _code_ package.

Gruss
Grisu
»Unix  IS  user friendly - it's just selective about who its friends are !«