Re: Who is a Debian user?

/sbin/ifconfig and /usr/sbin/traceroute *are* usable by non-root
users.

This is true, I know. They are usable, but they are not supposed to be used?

if you're going to make a long-winded complaint, then at least have the
courtesy to complain about a real problem.

It is a real problem, from my point of view. Not and end-of-the-world problem, but a bump in the road that is totally unneccessary.

either specify the full path on the command line (i.e. type
"/sbin/ifconfig" rather than just "ifconfig") or have a policy that the
sbin directories must be added to the default path when linux machines
are built - e.g. by editing /etc/profile.

Yes but you see : I am not the one that makes up the policies of environments of my customers machines. Also, when I first used Debian this was very confusing to me. It took a while to figure out, as I alway had these commands on my path before.

I just tried to show that the world with users and superusers is not so black and white as some sees to argue. The only ones that care about the network are not network administrators. Also users do.

Debian social contract, 5:

"Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software "

Perhaps this should also state who Debian's users are. If it said that Debian users are skilled network and Unix administrators, I would never had brought this issue up. I know it works perfect for you.

Claes

Hämta MSN Explorer kostnadsfritt på http://explorer.msn.se